Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Grounded

My parents never really punished me as a child - I guess I was just that good. (halo *wink*) But I'm here to announce that @ age 23 after one very special Sunday night in Los Angeles I can officially say that I've been "Grounded."

I've always been interested in being a performer for as long as I can remember. I still have the pictures of the time I donned two braided pigtails and drew freckles on my cheeks and sang "You Get A Line" (a song about fishing in a crawfish hole ) for the 2nd grade parents at a PTA meeting. (ps - only in Louisiana would this even happen)

I was an unstoppable showbiz phenom even then.

What followed were many years on the stage, a place where I felt very comfortable. From OLIVER TWIST to Shakespeare's A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM I jumped at any and every chance I had to be in front front of an audience. In high school I had to quit our community theatre so that I could devote more time to competitive acting. I traveled from school to school competing in tournaments in the events of humorous interpretation and duet acting. These victories were more personal, as most of the time I was performing for 10 minutes all on my own for a panel of judges. What a rush. In college performing took a little bit of a back seat to my major in Radio-TV-Film production due to the long hours I would have to spend in the studio or editing bay. I did, however, still find time to act and was glad to complete a minor in Theatre when it was all said and done. Cut to present day - Living in Los Angeles and working in Television. Sounds right up my alley, right? I've definitely learned a lot here, but I think the thing I've learned the most is that I don't want to be here anymore. And that's what brings me to Sunday night - the night that it became more evident to me than ever that I have to get out from behind this desk.

Here's what went down...

Two friends and I went to see a GROUNDLINGS show at their theatre on Melrose. Now, for those of you who aren't familiar with what the Groundlings are (or what a groundling is) I will kindly provide you with two different definitions:

A GROUNDLING (noun):
1) a poor person in Shakespeare's time who would pay one penny (which was nearly an entire day's wage) to stand in the area in front of the stage (aka "the pit") to watch the plays
2) a wickedly awesome improv comedy troupe that has bred some of the finest showmen (and showladies) of our time, including Will Ferrell, Phil Hartman, Lisa Kudrow, and Conan O'Brian (just to name a few)

I am, of course, referring to the latter of the two defs.

I sat there watching the show on Sunday and I was both inspired and a bit saddened. Okay, maybe not "saddened" but definitely jealous. Jealousy's a sin, I know I know. But it was the good kind of jealousy (spoken like a true crackhead...but crack's good for you, mom). Really. I was jealous of the smiles that they were putting on people's faces. As the show went on, I wanted so badly to be up there with them - creating characters, using wit, and evoking laughter. I think that's one of my most favorite things to do in the entire world - make people laugh. I just can't get enough! Now before you go and judge me on my "sense of humor" (reading this blog and thinking to yourself "her blog's not that funny...i bet she's not that funny either) just SHUT IT. I never said that I was a comic genius with impeccable timing and an unending wealth of jokery. I just like to make people laugh. End of story. Mary Kate and Ashley, blog audiences are hard to please!

So, I've decided that I am going to try my hand at improv comedy. That's right, kids. Momma's workin hard for her money, so hard for it honey. I do it anyway without an audience, so I figure why not add legions of adoring fans? And I'm not gonna front, the classes be expensive, girl! But that won't stop me cause I'm pretty sure that Jesus is a Groundling alumni so he can probably find a way to get me in. Hey, it's all about who you know in this business.

3 comments:

xoxo said...

"I'm pretty sure that Jesus is a Groundling alumni so he can probably find a way to get me in. Hey, it's all about who you know in this business." Possibly the most genius sentence I've ever heard. Bravo! Bravo! I know you can do it- you're gonna be huge. Remember me on your way to da top.

xoxo said...

ps- I REALLY hope Jesus was that funny.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

Oh my goodness... I'm so excited to see what becomes of this. And I've always thought you were hands down one of the funniest people I've ever known... that's what made/makes me so sad that I didn't get to hang out with you more often in college.

My abs would have been A LOT more awesome had I spent more time with you.

Best of luck... as I said before, I can't wait to say "I knew her when..." (I think I said that before... on a different post... I sure hope so... 'cause otherwise I'm hallucinating and this will be totally confusing... anyway...)